Outside the Wire is a social impact company that uses theater and a variety of other media to address pressing public health and social issues, such as combat-related psychological injury, end of life care, prison reform, political violence and torture, domestic violence, and the de-stigmatization of the treatment of substance abuse and addiction.
Our projects are all guided by the following core concepts and values:
• We present dramatic readings of powerful literary works-by authors such as Sophocles, Aeschylus, Seneca, Shakespeare, and O’Neill-to create safe environments for open dialogue about difficult and sometimes divisive subjects.
• We perform plays that deal with characters struggling with complex ethical and moral issues in order to elicit open and honest emotional responses from diverse audiences in settings as varied as military sites, homeless shelters, churches, movie theaters, professional conferences, and hospitals.
• We utilize the power of stories and metaphors to engender empathy, humility, and understanding in diverse audiences.
• We empower community members, from a variety of perspectives, to respond directly to the issues raised by our performances through facilitated town hall discussions, as well as through various social media platforms.
• We disseminate information and resources during and after performances in an effort to raise awareness about community-based public health and social issues.